Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Nine More Mays

Every May in our town the local high schools have yard signs made for all the graduating Seniors with their names to place in their front yard.  As we drive through our neighborhood the boys love to read all the names. "Brentwood High School Senior 2013 Hayden," Peter, Ashley, Sarah, and so on.

I started thinking that in 9 more Mays I might have one of those yard signs with Will's name on it. That sounds like a long time to you, but to me it sounds like tomorrow.

My first born. My angel baby. Have I said all the right things? Am I teaching him the right things?

Am I too hard on him? Not hard enough? What will his memories of home be? How will he remember me as a Mother? A crazy person? What stories will he tell on me?

It's easy to get caught up in the minutia of everyday. Eat breakfast, get in the car, go to school, come home, go to baseball, eat dinner, take a bath, go to bed. Repeat.

I continue to be amazed by my oldest child. He is smarter than me and has been since the day he was born. Our brains do not work in the same way, but I admire him just like I do his father. I look forward to watching how he will grow and what he will accomplish over the next 9 years.

I know at some point his heart will be broken and he will want to lose faith in this world. It happens to all of us. He will realize that people will let you down.  I know I can't be there to pick up the pieces and make it all better. But, I hope the seed of faith is already planted and he will understand that we can overcome. We can do anything through our Christ who give us strength.

So, as I try to teach the daily "grand scheme of life" lessons: treat others as you want to be treated, pick up after yourself, say "yes ma'am," don't eat Sonic hot dogs at 8:30 at night; I remember the same lessons my parents tried to teach me. At the time they probably didn't think they were sticking, but they did. Oh, they did. I just never dreamed I would have 2 amazing boys to teach the same lessons to one day. God exceeds all my dreams and expectations. He is good all the time.



No comments: