Tuesday, November 13, 2007


I have finished reading "Buy, buy, baby, how consumer culture manipulates parents and harms young minds." I found a copy at my local library, but you can read some good reviews on Amazon. It was very interesting. A few reasons I thought it was better than some books like this I have read is because the author is a mother herself and she is non-judgemental. She is simply stating what she found in her research.
I am the first to admit my kids watch TV pretty much everyday. In the mornings while we are getting up and ready and then usually in the late afternoons. Some days Curious George is the only thing that allows me to get supper ready. I am also guilty of falling for "brands" such as Baby Einstein (which she talks about at length) and Disney items. I want to buy my kids the things they like even if it is pop-tarts and Disney "Cars" toys. I also want to think I am buying my kids "educational toys." She has a lot of interesting things to say about so-called "educational toys," but she says it in a non-judging way, just fact stating. It is worth checking out for sure.
My opinion on most of this is moderation. A little TV is okay. A pop-tart once in a while isn't going to kill anyone. My parents taught me this growing up. Moderation is the key to most things in life. And sometimes the best educational toy in the world doesn't cost a dime. It is just hanging out in the backyard doing nothing. That is what I fear for my kids. I want them to have time to do "nothing." Not have to be "entertained" all the time.
I am only child and growing up I could happily spend a week at my grandparents farm making mudpies, picking strawberries, and sitting under a huge oak tree eating watermelon from the garden that was picked 5 minutes ago. My kids aren't going to have that experience and it makes me sad. I firmly believe my weeks spent there were better than any fancy sports camp or what have you now.
Well, I don't have the answers. As much as I would love to be one of those families that don't have a TV, I just love my Tivo too much.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I will definitely check this book out. It looks interesting!

Missed seeing you lately.