Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Next Day

The day after I stood with my boys on the Airbus 320 in the post below, I watched news coverage as another USAirways Airbus 320 landed in the Hudson River. I knew my Dad was at work, but didn't know his exact location. I immediately called my mom and she told me he was in Charlotte in a training session. I then called his cell phone and left a message saying "I'm glad you are not in the Hudson River."

Read his blog for a well-written account from someone who could have very easily have been the Captain on flight 1549.

I later expressed my feelings to him once again that I was very thankful he didn't have to land that plane in the Hudson River. His reply was "oh, it wouldn't have been so bad. It would've been kinda neat." This is obviously the confidence of a man who graduated at the top of his Air Force flight class and the kind of pilot that you want flying a plane when both engines fail. I'm thankful that there are highly skilled pilots like my Dad and Captain Sully out there in the skies. But, I'm still glad he didn't have to land that plane in the Hudson River!

2 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

Ginger, I too am glad your dad is ok. Good to know he is so skilled and that confident but you still don't want him to be the one landing that plane in the river! However I would like him to be the one captaining any plane I am on :)

Sara said...

So scary and so amazing that the plane landed intact and everyone survived. I know that was a scary moment for your family!!