Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Recent Reads that Rocked- UPDATE


The Abstinence Teacher is the January pick for my book club. Our meeting is tonight and I am actually bringing the discussion questions. Guess this means I am leading discussion.
This is no fantasy, feel-good read. Perrotta digs deep into themes of organized religion, Christianity, sex, and politics.
A very interesting read that made me feel sorry for people leading empty lives void of Christ.

Very interesting meeting last night. Some in the group did not like the book and found some parts edgy and down right offensive. Yes, I can agree with that. But, I think Perrotta is an excellent writer and should be appreciated none the less. This all made for an excellent discussion. The kind book clubs are meant to ignite.
My thanks at this time go out to Dr. Kimberly Reed for her Literary Criticism class I took my Senior year in college. Most of the time I sat with a dazed and confused look on my face as she discussed Deconstructionism as I would discuss making a chicken casserole. Maybe something sunk in after all.




After falling in love with Perrotta's writing style in The Abstinence Teacher, I read Little Children in the matter of a few days. It knocked my socks off. He microscopically examines suburban America with a dark humor and constructs a range of complex characters all struggling with their own individual sins.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I'm intrigued by both books. How do you find so much time to read? You read way more than I do...though I'd like to read more!

Ginger said...

I do read a lot. I always have, I guess. I don't watch TV at night after the boys go to bed, I read instead.(with the exception of Brothers and Sisters on Sunday night!)