Saturday, May 22, 2010

End of Year

I've been trying to write this post for 2 days. It's not going well. I can't really put into words how emotionally exhaustive the past few days have been for me. I had both Will and Ryan's end of year parties on Wednesday. They overlapped, but thankfully JW was able to help.

Will has had an amazing year. He has been part of a group of 18 kids and parents that I cannot imagine my life without now. So many small choices and huge blessings went into making this year what it has been for us.
The fact that we bought the house we did, thus getting us into this school zone. The fact that we opted for public school over private.
The fact that we waited and opted not to send Will on to 1st grade. (This is by far the best decision we made. He was still not the oldest in his class.)
The fact that he got placed with his specific teacher and the specific combination of kids.
The fact that I volunteered to be a room mom, forcing me to be involved and making a new BFF in my wonderful co-room mom!!
The fact that this specific teacher valued teaching her students how to love school and love each other over spelling words and memorization.
The fact that all the parents really hit it off early and became a support system for each other and eventually wonderful friends.
All these factors came together and created an amazing dynamic of loving, caring, fun, smart kids.
I cried many tears on Wednesday along with many of the kids and parents. I am going to miss this year and I wish I could freeze time. Too soon these precious kids will lose their innocence. Academics and "being cool" will take over their excitement for silly songs and cookies. But, thankfully, I will still have all my new "Mom Friends" I made this year. I can't imagine moving on without them.
You know who you are, and I thank you all for being a part of this special year.




The money flower pot we gave Will's teacher as her end of the year gift.



Will and his sweet friend Avery watching the end of the year slideshow



Every child in the class got their own personalized scrapbook of the year. What an amazing gift! Some of the moms in our class worked very hard putting these together. It is really a treasure.



Will and his scrapbook.

6 comments:

April said...

I'm so very thankful that you've had a wonderful year! I'm so thankful that you've made such wonderful friends, and that Will has, too. I'm thankful you were able to be involved. That means so much to kids. And, I love the scrapebook!!! Very cool. We had a great year, too. I second most all that you said, even though we went the private route and sent Mackenzie on at age 4...almost 5...he, he. Funny how the "right" decision is so very different for each child and family. I'm so thankful this year has been GREAT for everyone!!! :) I miss you guys, Ginger.

Holly Aytes said...

I felt so many of those same emotions! I didn't think moving would be as big of a deal. The kids are doing well with it though and when we asked if they wanted to stay where we were and not have to switch schools they said no! They love the new place. I didn't get to be as involved in Caleb and Taylor's classes as I would like to have been but I was involved with Madison and am really going to miss her class next year. 5 of her classmates are headed to pre-K with her :) I know you were an awesome room mom! So glad you had such a great year and have so many good memories!

Cindy said...

Ginger, that is fantastic! What a special year for all of you! The scrapbook your Will got looks very much like the one my Will got...his kindergarten teacher (and parents) had done one for her kids as well. Very special mementos...better than any yearbook, if you ask me!

Your money and cookie bouquet is amazing...you are so talented!

I'm also glad to hear how comfortable you are with your decision to wait a year on starting Will. We've decided to do the same kind of thing with Sam, our July baby. He'll be attending West End Kindergarten this year (private, at the preschool where I work and where he attended Pre-K this year) and then we plan to send him on to public K at Will's school the following year. I still hem and haw over the decision and wonder if we're doing the right thing. I'm encouraged by those of you have come out on the other side, pleased!

Have a great summer vacation!

Ginger said...

Disclaimer: I cannot take any credit for that adorable money bouquet! My co-room mom folded all of the money origami style and put the whole thing together.
Cindy- I don't think you will regret the decision with Sam. It is more important for boys to be older in a grade than it is for girls. Yes, it is a double standard, but true. I've seen both sides this year.

Brigid said...

I call those "sliding door moments" when you wonder how different life could have been if a few decisions went the other way. I, for one, am sooo thankful that Will and Maggie were able to share kindergarten and bear camp and be neighborhood buddies. And yes, you rock as a room mom.

Jill Burgin said...

I wanted to click the "like" button on this! I'll admit I was a pretty jaded mom going into this school year, but you helped make it worthwhile for me. I didn't know I felt exactly the same way about Mrs. Chatman's class until I read what you wrote here. So, thanks! And let's get the boys together soon. :)