Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Flood Thoughts

Life in the Nashville area is now referred to in terms of "before the flood" and "after the flood."

People had events planned, parties planned, work planned. But that was before the flood.

It has been almost 2 weeks and JohnWill has still not been back into his building at work. His firm just moved into to a beautiful new building downtown in November. That area was one of the hardest hit. All his work is now done from a laptop in our dining room, a study room at the library, a Starbucks, or various restaurants.

Post-flood life has been interesting and inspirational. Our church rapidly put together a massive relief effort. I helped out taking in and sorting donations on 2 different days. I met and chatted with people who were there helping that I had never talked to before at church. It was interesting to me that some people who were there working didn't even go to our church, but just read on Facebook that volunteers were needed and came by to help.

JohnWill helped many of our neighbors for 2 days straight emptying out flooded basements and pumping water out from underneath houses.

The outpouring of help has really been astouding. People have literally pressed paused on their normal lives to help those in need. Even now I feel twinges of guilt when I run the washing machine and dish washer. (we were without water for over 24 hours and had a water conservation warning for about a week. It wasn't a joke, either. We were in serious danger of losing our water supply.)

I know life will go on. Life will become "daily" again. We will take our comfortable lives for granted and move on like all Americans. But, somewhere, deep inside all of us affected by the flood, we will remember. We will know we are not in control. We may think we have plans, but we don't. We may think we can plan out our days and mark down in our day timers all the "stuff" we must get done, but we can't.

What a relief that is to me! Because I'll tell you one thing, I don't want to be in charge.

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."
(1 Peter 5:7)




post-flood play in the mud



The street in front our house covered in water



Will playing out front of the Aquarium (pre-flood)



Will and Ryan at our hotel in Chattanooga, The Chattanoogan (pre-flood)

2 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

Wow, I almost didn't even recognize Will with his short haircut! Boy does he look grown up! We have numerous friends in Nashville who were affected by the flooding and my heart goes out to them. I think those that lost everything and I think about how devastated I would be if I had lost everything. Most worldly possessions are replaceable but you have some things (like pictures) that you can't replace. How hard it would be to not have my kids baby pictures. So glad that you guys didn't have any damage. Still praying for all those who were affected!

Cindy said...

Thanks for putting a real face on what seems to me this huge, ambiguous "Nashville Flood." I'm so sorry for all that was damaged and lost by so many, and so thankful for the spirit of perseverance that reigns. God is good. All the time!