Friday, January 11, 2008

More Recipe Reviews

I have made a couple more recipes from Deceptively Delicious. A few nights ago I made the meatloaf for dinner. It called for ground turkey. Now, I must say I think ground turkey is okay for some things, but not meatloaf. I used it anyway like the recipe said, but it's just not the same. Something about the texture and color. Just not right. I will make the meatloaf again, but next time I will use ground beef.
Yesterday I made the brownies. I thought they were wonderful. I followed the recipe exactly, making no changes. It calls for pureed carrots and spinach. I steamed them both in the microwave and then used my little blender/chopper thing and it was so easy. The brownies were very dense and moist- almost fudge-like. The chocolate flavor is very rich. The boys loved them because, well, they were chocolate. I loved them. JW was only skeptical once he found out what was in them. I will make those again many times.
I also got out my smoothie maker yesterday in my attempt to eat healthier. I made a banana/blueberry/yogurt/ flaxseed smoothie. I use frozen blueberries because then you don't need to add ice. (Ice is pointless in a healthy smoothie because it just waters it down- always opt for a frozen fruit.) I use fat free vanilla yogurt and for liquid I add a small amout of orange juice. You don't have to have a smoothie maker. You can use a blender, hand-held blender or whatever you have. Now, I know some of you are asking- flaxseed? Yes, I buy whole flaxseed and grind it myself in a small coffee bean grinder. It works perfectly and freshly ground flaxseed is maybe the healthiest thing on the planet because of the omega-3's. Never eat flaxseed whole. It defeats the whole purpose. Your body cannot break it down and it just passes through whole. You can put ground flaxseed in anything. Oatmeal would be perfect. Will didn't care for the smoothie because he said it had too many "bumps" in it. Ryan drank his through a straw and seemed to like it. I was very glad to see him drink it since he is a pickier eater. Lately he discovered Cool Ranch Doritos. I won't be buying those again!
Well, that is what I've made lately. I bought some more carrots this morning to puree and I plan to try the applesauce muffins this weekend. I'll keep you posted. Happy Cooking!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Hmmm...flaxseed...I have not experimented with this grain. Where do you get it?

I looked at this cookbook at Target the other day and the recipes did seem very simple. I have a couple questions about the purees you make to add to the recipes. I need to remember to ask you about them.