Monday, January 7, 2008

My New Favorite Cookbook


How many of you have heard about this book? I am so excited about this book. Thanks to my dear sister-in-law, it is one of my favorite Christmas gifts. Maybe my top fave! For those of you who don't know, I have a huge thing for cookbooks. In my previous life I was a cookbook editor and when we moved, JW lost track of the boxes labeled "Ginger's cookbooks!" My ultimate goal in life is to have a huge kitchen with built-in bookcases. By then I'll probably be too old to cook- ha!
Well, Decepetively Delicious is based on pureeing vegetables and fruits and "sneaking" them into regular food you make for your family. I like to think of it less as being sneaky, more as just being healthy. I mean, I've been putting carrots and zucchini in my meatloaf for years. But she takes it to a whole new level, like spinach in brownies.
The only thing I have made so far is the Pink Pancakes (page 143.) You take a basic pancake mix and add grated apple, ricotta cheese and beet puree. Everyone loved them! My kids love pancakes, so I knew it would be an easy transition from the frozen ones. She suggests roasting and pureeing whole beets, but I just pureed canned beets. So easy. I originally thought the addition of ricotta cheese a bit strange, but have since seen 2 recipes for Ricotta Pancakes. One was in the latest issue of Food and Wine, so maybe it is all the rage. JW and I thought they were best with a fruit syrup like Smuckers, but Will liked them with plain pancake syrup. I added more pancake mix than she calls for in the recipe because I thought the first batch was a little mushy. That is the only change I made. I am making her meatloaf tonight so I'll let you know how that goes. So, run out and buy this cookbook and let me know what you think. Happy Cooking!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Very cool. I have heard about this cookbook and was interested in it. Are the recipes easy or hard? I am all about cooking with less than 10ingredients.

Ginger said...

Hey Sara- very easy. She is a mom of 3 kids so it is geared towards busy moms. You would love it.

Gini said...

glad you are enjoying- i am going to costco tomorrow to pick one up for me too! PLEASE post the taste results from all of the recipes!!! also- did the beets make a huge mess?