Thursday, January 17, 2008

Bike Riding and other events

Will got a new red bike for Christmas. He is old pro riding it now. He was especially excited to get a matching red helmet. We have a really great park very close to our house with a paved, level path that is great for riding. It goes by the lake and has 2 play areas along with soccer fields. They boys love that park.


We took the tricycle and tried to get Ryan to ride it. As you can see, he was not all that into it. He just kinda sat there on it.
This is Ryan showing off his latest injury. He got a gash under his eye from the corner of the bathroom counter. The day after that he fell on the sidewalk and scraped up his chin. He is much more accident-prone than Will. He is such a tough-guy, though. Just picks himself and keeps on going!



Well, you are probably all sick of me raving about Deceptively Delicious. Have you gotten the book yet? I'm waiting for some of you to start cooking out of it so we can discuss. Sara? Gini? Stace? I have made the Applesauce Muffins twice now because we love them. Ryan ate 3 in a row one day. I love them hot with butter. Will says they have "bumps" in them. (He is having a texture issue lately.) I think JW liked them. I have all the ingredients to make the banana bread, so that is next on my list to make.
Let me leave you with an article to read.

Peggy O'Mara is the editor and publisher of Mothering Magazine. Her articles are always wonderful and insightful. The title of this one is "Trust Yourself." It is a long article but is worth reading. It is so hard knowing all the right decisions to make for our children, isn't it??
Am I doing enough? Am I doing too much? Does my child watch too much TV? Is my child too commercialized? What about schooling? Is my child on track? The questions are endless and we can drive ourselves insane searching books, talking to teachers, doctors, "experts." We can also drive ourselves insane comparing them to others. We must stop. We must listen to our children and trust ourselves as mothers. Peggy says- so what if the decision you make for your child is not "popular." Each child is an individual. Children by nature are non-conformists. Your child might not be doing the same thing as your friends child. But, the common thread here is that we all want what is best for our children. This article was very timely for me and I need to read it again. I think you will find it interesting as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ging, I cannot believe how much your boys have grown! Ryan's little smile in that pic looks just like you...I love reading your blog, Girl. Thank you for your precious words on Cami's and my blog. So happy you will be back our way in just a few months! Love you much, Heather

Holly Aytes said...

We love that park too! It is a great place in the summer b/c of the sprinkler park there. It does get crowded though. Our nieces and nephews love to go there when they come visit!