Wednesday, December 17, 2008

For the love of food

I'm pretty sure I like food more than the average person. I like to think about it, talk about it, read about it, write about it, cook it, make it, grow it, buy it, and of course, eat it. I am a dork and even enjoy grocery shopping.

The thing about cooking is that it takes time. Something I don't have a lot extra of with two active little boys. And the other thing about cooking is that you have a big mess that someone has to clean up- me. I really don't like the cleaning up part.

I've been thinking about food and how it connects us today as I've been making a trillion dozen Christmas cookies for Ryans class party tomorrow. The food is one of my favorite parts to the holidays. There are so many good memories for me surrounding Christmas foods.

Every year when we would arrive at my grandmothers house in West TN for Christmas, she would have an entire cart full of candy that she had made. My grandfather would make the peanut brittle and she would make divinity, fudge, pecan logs, and other varieties that I'm sure I'm forgetting. I remember being so impressed by all the beautiful candies on the crystal dishes. This woman was superwoman in my mind.

Every Christmas morning of my entire life I have gone to my Nana's house (now my uncle's) for the same Christmas morning breakfast. This is the best food I eat all year long. Even JW agrees with me now. It is incredible. Local country ham and sausage, cheese grits, eggs, fried apples, homemade angel biscuits, and fried cheese (yes, fried cheese- you haven't lived until you've had fried cheese.)

I won't even start on the cheese ring recipe my Mother has made in the past. This thing is so good I could cry. But, she won't share the secret recipe with me. (Because of some old lady in her hometown- anyway...) I really don't want the recipe, Mom, I just want you to make it!!

Food keeps us connected, makes us feel loved, and gives us history. We take it when someone is born and also when someone dies. We make it in celebration and we make it during sickness. My friend Stacey says my food taste better because I put so much love in it. That is one of the best compliments I've ever received. And yes, Stace, you will get an apple pie when Miller is born!

Go make something for someone you love.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I agree with everything you said. I also like to look at recipes and I do enjoy cooking when I have hours of uninterrupted time. Since I don't have hours of uninterrupted time, I usually cook the same things over and over.

I was remembering the other day as I was planning a meal to bring to someone of the times I received food when Grant was born. It was the first time I had ever tasted a caramel pie that you made. Let's just say that was about the best thing I've ever tasted. I plan to make it one day..when I have time!!

Cindy said...

Awww, Ginger! I love food, too! Liked your post a lot. And send me some fried cheese, and a slice of cheese ring, too. I'm so there!

April said...

I love the way different foods are so easily associated with different memories of life itself. Fun post!