Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Update

JW has taken the boys to his office for a little bit, so I will take this opportunity to update the blog. They know that Daddy works in a big building downtown and they always want to go see his office, so today (being Labor Day) was a great chance for JW to show them around his building. Not that big law firms EVER close, but maybe it will be a little slower!
Ryan is playing soccer this Fall. It is hilarious. He had his first practice this past week and he was so excited. He actually knew what to do and followed directions perfectly. I think he is going to have a lot of fun.
Will opted not to play any sports this Fall, which is fine with us. He is still adjusting to school, but he had a great day Friday and I am optimistic he is going to eventually love it. We had 2 little boys over one afternoon last week and they had a great time playing. I am glad he seems to be making friends easily. I have enjoyed getting to visit with the moms too! Guess I am making new friends as well!
I am still coming to grips with the fact that I have taken on the dauting task of being a Kindergarten Room Mom. I am only slightly exaggerating here, as it is a huge responsibility at our elementary school. One other mom and I are the room moms and we are both "New." We took it as a bad sign that the other "seasoned" Kindergarten moms snickered at us as we were writing our names down on the sign-up list. I left the meeting last week with information overload and we have another meeting this week too. We'll see how it goes...
We are all trying to stay well in the midst of the horrible Middle TN allergy season. I have already had one sinus infection and Will has been coughing for what seems like weeks. I am not looking forward to another Winter like we had last year. I plan to get us all flu shots and hear rumors about a vaccine for H1N1 too.
Our new minister, Josh Graves, started at Otter Creek yesterday. I am very excited to get to know him and his family. I think he is going to do great things for the church family at Otter Creek.
Tomorrow I turn 34 and I have realized I am now officially a "soccer mom," "room mom," and "lunchroom mom." All I need now is a minivan and my suburban life will be complete! Seriously, it is still strange to realize I am 34. I don't feel like I should be 34. I feel like I should just be in a perpetual state of mid-20s. Guess that's not how life works. As my Dad says, "there is only one alternative to getting older."
Happy September, Everyone!!
Ryan talking to some fellow teammates
Ryan running with the ball

Not sure what this move is...

7 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

Ryan is such a cutie! Caleb isn't playing any sports either...he is doing cub scouts though which he is super excited about :) The new all day school routine is taking some time to get used too...Caleb is much more tired when he comes home and by friday is exhausted, he is adjusting slowly and really starting to love it! How brave of you to sign up as room mom...I have always said I would do that when my kids went to school but it is such a huge responsibility that I haven't followed through with it. Praying that it all goes well for you :) We too are getting the flu shots/flu mists....trying to avoid being sick as 2 school systems have closed for illness (Alcoa and Blount).

April said...

Ryan makes an adorable soccer player! I bet he's good, too. I loved seeing the pictures of him!

I think it is very neat that the boys got to go see John Will's office. Kids LOVE doing things like that...and they won't soon forget it. Kudos to him for taking the time and energy to do that for and with the boys.

I am glad to read that you're a room mom! I was asked just a couple weeks ago by Mackenzie's teacher if I would be Head Room Mom. Of course, I said yes! Do I have the remotest idea what I've said "yes" to...absolutely not! Ha. But I sure am excited! I have asked another Mom to be a Co-Head with me, and I've been told there will be meetings in the future to help clue us in...he, he. ;) Hope your year as Room Mom goes wonderfully! I look forward to hearing your stories.

Cindy said...

Ryan is so cute in his soccer uniform! Don't you love those poses?

I was the room mom in Will's K class last year. For what it's worth, it really wasn't that big a deal. Perhaps, though, I was a painfully lame room mom, and just didn't know it! Ha! If there was any pressure to be more than I was, I didn't know about it. And since no one else volunteered to do it, they didn't complain either. Have fun with it and don't stress.

Ginger said...

Holly- Wow! I can't believe Alcoa and Blount have already closed b/c of sickness. I had no heard that.

April- please keep me posted on how your room mom duties go. I would love to hear your stories as well.

Cindy- I realize I sounded dramatic about the room mom thing in my post, but the Fall is an overwhelming time for room moms. Our school does the huge fundraiser in the Fall- a Fall Festival and silent auction. This is the main fundraiser for the entire year. Each class is responsible for getting big ticket items donated for the silent auction and putting together elaborate baskets. This all happens in September on top of all the other room mom responsiblities- lunch helpers, readers, Fall party, box tops, spirit weeks, etc.. I would be interested to hear about your room mom experience and how it compared. Can't believe you did it all by yourself!

Cindy said...

Basically, I just did what Will's teacher asked me to do...which was organize the food for two class parties. I called a few parents, made sure we had what we needed. I also collected money for flowers for the teacher when she was in the hospital. If there were any other expectations, I was not aware of them.

When I was teaching, I never had very involved room mothers. I never felt like I needed that from them. I'm sure it totally depends on the school, and what has become the norm there.

A lot of the responsibilities you described as room mother are accomplished by the PTA at my Will's school. I signed up to help with several of them last year and was never asked to actually help with any of it. Maybe they'll take me up on it this year!

I hope you have fun with it, because it sounds like a lot of fun to me. And Will will be better for it having you so involved! :)

Cindy said...

Oh yeah...I also volunteered in Will's classroom several times, chaperoned both field trips, and attended other school functions...but all that was just as a mom, not because I was the room mother. I'll be quiet now. :)

Ginger said...

Cindy- thanks for your input. It sounds like our PTO requires more of the room moms at our school. And I know we have more than 2 parties a year. I have a room mom meeting at 8:40 in the morning so hopefully I will know more after that. I will try to keep you guys posted as to how it goes this year!!