Friday, October 9, 2009

Recent Read that Rocked


I am not going to review this book. Nothing I have to say would do it justice. I have a kind of reverence for Pat Conroy and my menial words can't fully explain how much I love his writing.
I have waited fourteen years for this book. His previous work of fiction, Beach Music, was published in 1995. He is a literary genius and his knowledge and understanding of the South is
unparalleled among today's writers.
My family used to vacation on Fripp Island, SC, where Conroy lives. His house is small and unassuming, not even on the beach. Like his house, he is an unassuming man, not given to many interviews or media hype. Read more about him here.
This book has caused me to become some what of a book club slacker. We were supposed to read the Outlander, but South of Broad came out and I just couldn't seem to get into the Outlander. I am going to try to get back on the book club train now.
Mr. Conroy, please don't make us wait another fourteen years!

3 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

I will have to pick that up. I loved some of the other books you have read and reviewed :) I love to read.

Sara said...

I love getting new ideas for books. I'll put this on my "to read" list.

You must read "The Help" if you haven't already. It is fabulous! It was one of those books you just didn't want to end.

Ginger said...

Sara- "The Help" is on our book list for my book club. I am so excited! I have heard it is wonderful!