Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Big Apple

The Saturday morning following Will's party, we loaded the boys into the car around 8:30 and didn't tell them where were going. We drove to the airport and handed Will a map of Manhattan. It was great! John Will surprised us with this trip, but he kind of had to tell me so I could pack our bags.  JW's birthday was the 20th, so it was his birthday gift too. We all really had fun. I took over 100 pictures, but I am just posting a few here. It was a trip I know the boys will always remember. The best moments were when we were all 4 sitting on the subway and JW would look over at me and say "can you believe we brought them to New York City?"

Will with his map at the airport

No joke, this was the name of the restaurant at our hotel. The boys loved it!

Will with a street corner Lady Liberty
The wall of Legos at the new Lego store in Rockefeller Plaza. It was amazing. We also went to FAO Schwartz, but I personally liked the Lego store better.
Wall St. subway stop.
Ryan in Battery Park
Boys on the ferry boat to Liberty Island

Waiting to eat dinner at Carmine's

This may be my favorite picture of the whole trip. Will riding the subway and studying the map. By the end of the trip, he understood the NYC subway system. I was blown away because they confused this Southern girl!


Will at the American Museum of Natural History, Dinosaur Hall. This really was amazing. It exceeded all our expectations. A must see with kids in NYC.

Lady Liberty. We joked that they must have wanted to re-create the Ellis Island experience, because we had to stand in line FOREVER, then we were herded like cattle and packed on the ferry. All in all, I'm glad we saw her, but it made for a long, hot day.


The view from our 23rd floor hotel room. We were right in the middle of Times Sqaure. We were staring right into the 4-story M&M store- such a fun, happy place!

While we were there, we also explored Central Park and found a really cool playground. We got on the wrong subway one time and ended up in Grand Central Station, we wandered around Columbus Circle, and we ate some really good New York pizza in Times Square.  It was a great trip!

1 comment:

Holly Aytes said...

Wow! What a great surprise. I have never thought of taking the kids to NYT, well I have thought about taking Taylor....she would love it! I love NYC...one of my favorite places! Glad y'all had a good time. BTW, so impressed that Will had the subway figured out b/c I was confused by the system too :)