Monday, June 23, 2008

Recent Read

Wow! I just finished reading "Escape" by Carolyn Jessop. Few books have affected me like this one. It is the true story of how she (with her 8 children) escaped the polygamist FLDS cult. I almost had to stop reading it for a few reasons. One, I could barely take the stories of horrible abuse and two, it was making me tired because I couldn't put it down at night. But, I had to keep reading it because I had to find out how she eventually escaped. Now, one might ask "why didn't she just get in her car and leave?" Good question. Women in the cult are property, nothing more. She had no access to a working car (cars were left empty of gas so women could not go anywhere) and she had no access to money. One of her 8 children was severely handicapped and needed around the clock medication and oxygen support. This was another strike against her. But, she made it.

A couple things here are extremely disturbing. One, this bizzare and horrific world is in our backyard. This is not happening in a foreign, third-world nation. It is here in the United States. Two, the abuse and degradation is all taking place in the name of God. Blasphemy at its absolute worst. The FLDS members are brainwashed from birth. They are commanded to be home-schooled and only a very few have ever been allowed to attend college.

Carolyn Jessop is an inspiration. Once she escaped, it was just the beginning. She still had to fight court battles and acclimate herself and her children to living in a society she had been sheltered from her entire life. She is a living testimony to what a woman will endure and triumph over for her children.

3 comments:

April said...

Crazy. Sad. Scary. I really need to find more time to read these days. You have a lot of good recommendations.

I like the past couple posts, too! The sprinkler ball looks like fun, and the flag cake is adorable. I, too, love Big Lots, although I don't go very often as we don't have one very close to us. (I guess I count a 25 minute drive as not very close!) :)

Cindy said...

What an amazing story. Such stories always intrigue me, but like you, I find it hard to press on when it includes graphic depictions of abuse. But then I think, "This person had to live through it, the least I can do is read about it!" Thanks for sharing.

Sara said...

This book sounds very intriguing. I enjoy reading about people who overcome major life obstacles because it is a reflection of the human spirit. Have you read The Glass Castle? It's another true story about children raised in a neglectful/abusive home, yet grew into very capable and successful adults. It's a good one to read.