Friday, August 22, 2008

My New Favorite Thing

Spray paint. Metallic Oil Rubbed Bronze, to be exact. $5.97 a can at Home Depot

This light fixture used to be shiny brass with black shades. Instead of paying a couple hundred dollars to replace it, I just sprayed painted it! (And I am still looking for the exact linen-looking shades I want) No need to spend a lot of money for a new dining room chandelier.....just buy yourself a can of spray paint! (I have to credit my sis-in-law, Gini, for this marvelous money-saving idea!)

This plate rack used to be shiny brass- not anymore! Nothing in my house is safe anymore. I am constantly thinking "what can I spray paint today?" Stay tuned, people. I have lots more plans for my spray paint.


On a very exciting side note that all you moms out there will appreciate: Ryan pooped in the potty today!!! I was totally shocked. He always talks about it (because he sees Will) but today, he actually followed through with huge success!! I don't know if this is a one-time event or if this will be a lasting practice, but I was very excited!!

8 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

I got into a spray-painting frenzy a few years ago, everything but the kitchen sink got painted :) Just kidding, I did paint a number of things though. Good for you being thrifty! I think the chandelier looks great...you can't tell it was painted. And good for Ryan! I was so ready for Madison to be potty trained (and also a little sad b/c it meant she was getting big which I wasn't really ready for). I hope Ryan keeps up the "good work".

Cindy said...

I have a can of rustic brown spray paint that's been in the garage for about 3 years, waiting for me to take down the hall light fixtures (which are shiny brass!) to paint to match the rest of our fixtures!!! Perhaps you have inspired me to do it!!!

Congrats to Ryan! Apparently this is a big week for pooping in the potty!!! Hope he catches on quickly!!

Ginger said...

Cindy- that is my plan too. I have 3 more shiny brass light fixtures just waiting to be spray painted!

Gini said...

It looks good! Do you think you can do drawer handles/pulls???

Jenny said...

Ging -
How HGTV of you! Randy and I spray painted 4 outside light fixtures. I was very proud of how much money we saved! Way to go girl!! Your backyard looks so pretty and peaceful -You should post more pictures of your new home so us out-of-towners can see it. :)
~Jenny

Sara said...

I've been wanting to spray paint my kitchen chairs black...one day soon I'll get to it! Nothing like a good coat of paint to really change a look. Yes, post pictures of your house...I'm wanting to see it as well.

April said...

Spray paint! Hysterical and ingenious, too. Yea for Ryan! BTW, the chandelier looks great! :)

Sara said...

Oh my goodness!!! Thank you for sharing the info on the spray paint. I have that exact chandelier in my dining room in brass and I've never liked it. The paint makes all the difference. I'm running out and buying a can this week. Can't wait to try it out!