Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Recent Reads

I recently finished reading Sue Miller's The Senator's Wife. I love Sue Miller. (If you have never read Sue Miller, go to your local library tomorrow and check out anything by her.) In this book she paints a painfully intimate look at two marriages. One of an older couple (the senator and his wife) and the other of a young, newly married couple that moves in next door. She creates an interesting parallel of the two as she follows them through the sometimes complex and intense relationship of husband and wife. Highly recommended.




I know this book has been very meaningful to many people. Let me start out by saying I do not want to offend you if this is the case for you. I am so glad the book spoke to you in a special way. That is what makes a great book. But, I seemed to have missed the "life-changing" aspect of this book. I guess I was turned off in the beginning because I really, really do not like reading books about children being kidnapped or murdered. I will stop reading a book for that very reason. But, I have recently joined a new book club at our church and this was the first book chosen. So, wanting to be part of the group, I stuck with it. Yes, it got better. But, not much. Our book club meets this Monday and I am interested to hear what everyone else thought. I know some of you out there have read it so, come on people, give me your thoughts.


5 comments:

Sara said...

I'm 100% with you on "The Shack". I almost put the book down in the beginning because, like you, I can't stand reading books where children get hurt. It makes me sick to my stomach! But, I stuck with it and felt like it was a decent read and worth the time. However it was not "life changing" or "earth shattering" as some have felt after reading it.

I'll add "The Senator's Wife" to my reading list. I always like to get new book recommendations.

Gini said...

Still have 2 chapters left...thoughts thus far: interesting portrayal of the relationship of the trinity; ironic that the message of that God/religion cannot be understood in our state of humanness is shown through a human story and very human emotions; would it be more intriguing to a believer or nonbeliever? Nothing life/belief-altering yet. See you at book club.

Vicky said...

I don't know you but I came across your blog - I think through the Watson family. Anyway, reading this book WAS life changing for me. I say MUCH more on my own blog under two entries labeled "The Shack".

I realize that as individuals, no book but the Bible can be life changing for everyone.

I was hurt like that little girl, except that I was not murdered.

Melanie said...

I love getting book recommendations! I haven't read a Sue Miller book, but I have had While I was Gone on my shelf for at least a year. I found it at McKay's and thought it sounded good. I will get to reading it much faster now!

You should sign up for goodreads.com. I love to connect with friends and family on this website that lets you rate and review books, as well as see what others think. If you join, put me down as a friend!

James E. Miller said...

I haven't finished it yet. Frankly, it started getting very slow. And school picked up. I'll finish it this week simply to get it over with. I'll give you a full review on my blog in coming days...