Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Recent Reads

Well, no light summer reading for me. I didn't do this on purpose, these two books kind of just called to me. They are both non-fiction memoirs. I highly recommend them both.




I have always been a big Elizabeth Edwards fan. (I always liked her more than her husband.) I think she is intelligent and well-spoken. Well, I like her even more now that I have read this book. Not only is she an excellent writer, but I really admire her for the way she has gracefully handled herself through all the horrible adversity she has faced.
The strength of women never ceases to amaze me. Not so much a bright and happy read, but Elizabeth Edwards has lead an interesting life and the book was inspirational. It is a short book that I read in 3 nights.








Barbara Brown Taylor. How many of you have even heard of her? I had no idea who she was until she spoke at the Christian Scholars' Conference at Lipscomb University. I did not get to hear her speak, but it prompted me to check out some of her writing. I started with this book, Leaving Church. It gives her background and tells how she got into ministry, left the ministry, and is now a professor of religion. She is quite interesting. I really can't explain here on my blog how much I have learned, but I do urge you to check out her work. Even if you just read her website.
I am now reading her most recent work, An Altar in the World, on seeing the holy in everyday life. It is very eye-opening. She reminds us that God's work does not happen in a building that has a church sign in front of it. God's work is done in all the inconsequential moments of everyday life.
(okay, to be honest, I have also read The Boleyn Inheritence, which is a follow-up to The Other Boleyn Girl. It is an indulgence in the wild court of King Henry VIII. Crazy man!)

1 comment:

Holly Aytes said...

I will have to check those out. I love to read and have read lots this summer. I picked up a new author this summer....Mary Alice Monroe and have really enjoyed her writing. I can never get enough books!