Sunday, March 30, 2008

Give the Blessing

The message I heard this morning was based on these verses in Mark 10:

13People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." 16And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.

What beautiful words discussing the disappointment and anger Jesus felt toward the disciples when he realized they were sending away children and then the physical touch he gave the children when they came to him. I imagine him hugging these little children and speaking to them in sweet, soft tones. He was blessing them.

Do we do enough "blessing?" Do we take every opportunity to bless each other? This was the question asked this morning. We should never miss a chance to hug, uplift, or encourage one another. This is what it means to be brothers and sisters in Christ and part of a larger community of faith. I was blessed by the message this morning.

May you all be blessed this week and give the blessing to others.

4 comments:

Cindy said...

I was blessed by Mark's message this morning, too, and I appreciate your thoughts on it, Ginger. I'd like to check out that book he recommended...The Blessing by ?? Smalley.

Holly Aytes said...

I agree. I enjoy his lessons so much. I am not sure I have ever listened more intently to any other preacher. Maybe I have matured or maybe he is just that good. His lessons always seem to be exactly what I need at that moment. I am going to try and "give the blessing" more often now.

April said...

Well said, Ginger! I, too, enjoyed the lesson. I really like Mark's style. He calls it like it is. Thanks for the blessings! You have a blessed week, too, Ginger. :)

Sara said...

Jim said the lesson was really good, so I plan to listen to it on-line. I really enjoy Mark's lessons as well.