Thursday, March 13, 2008

Paper, Plastic, or Cloth

The city of San Francisco has banned the use of plastic grocery bags. Other cities are considering doing the same. Whole Foods, a large upscale grocery chain, has pledged to stop using plastic bags in all their stores by Earth Day, April 22nd. This leaves the option of paper sacks or bringing your own reusable bags.
I love the idea of using your own reusable cloth bags and I think there is a real market for them. But, I would leave mine at home, forget to put them in the car and then end up with an entire cart full of groceries and no where to put them! Also, I reuse my plastic grocery bags. I line trash cans with them and use them to dispose of dirty diapers. So, I kind of feel like I am already doing my part in recycling these very "anti-green" plastic bags. You can read the entire article below.

I like my plastic grocery bags, thank you very much. What do you all think?

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Interesting entry, Ginger. Plastic bags are the bane of our existence, wouldn't you say? I also reuse as many as I can, but always have gobs left to recycle...which I do. I'm entertaining the idea of the cloth bags, myself...they have them for sale at Walmart for $1 a bag. If I start buying one or two every time I go, it won't hurt my wallet so much!

April said...

I do want to take care of the world around us, but I like my plastic bags, too! Just like you, I use mine as trash bags. I like not having to buy trash bags. Oh, well.

Sara said...

I didn't know that Walmart had cloth bags for $1 each...I might start investing in those over time. Kroger has some, but they were more expensive and not very big. I'd have to have around 30+ for each trip!