Sunday, March 2, 2008

Recent Read


I love John Grisham novels. This one does not disappoint. I want JW to read it so we can discuss it, but that might have to wait until after graduation.

The book centers around an environmental case about a big factory in rural Mississippi that has dumped toxic waste for years, making an entire community of people deathly ill. The verdict is appealed to the Mississippi Supreme Court. The book is also about how big business purchases seats on state Supreme Courts and other dirty political tricks. It gives a detailed look inside big business and what an endless supply of money can buy in our country. It is frightening to think verdicts can be bought. The book did not end as I expected, but I won't give anything away.

I highly recommend this book. I am not a huge political person, but I was captivated by a look inside a world I didn't know existed. And it really made me wonder how much of this goes on in state judicial elections today.

Yes, I know this is a work of fiction, but Grisham spends a couple of pages in the back indicating that these happenings are not far off the mark.

2 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

I too love John Grisham novels. Each time a new one comes out I can't wait to read it. The movies made from his books have also turned out good, they stay pretty true to his books. I love to " A Time to Kill". We have it and watch it often.

Ginger said...

I have seen "A Time to Kill" a million times. Best Matthew McConaughey movie ever.