Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Best Thing to Hit Nashville

After hearing my friend Jenni rave about Trader Joe's since it opened a few months ago, I now understand. It is the best thing to hit Nashville since the Cheesecake Factory and Anthropologie. It is amazing. It is just like a Whole Foods, except it's cheap!! An affordable organic and gourmet food store. It is not in my neighborhood, but is close to the boys school, so I have been a couple times on my way to pick them up in the afternoon.

Let me give you a couple examples:
I got 4 bags (the big brown paper kind) of groceries today and my total was $66.40.

bag of whole organic carrots $.89
gallon of whole milk (the kind without antibiotics) for $2.99.
6-pack of extra creamy yogurt that Ryan loves for $2.99
large in-store made cheese pizza for $2.99
large container of triple layer hummus for, you guessed it, $2.99 (the best hummus I have ever had, hands down!)
bag of frozen chicken chow mein (tastes EXACTLY like take-out from PF Changs) $5.99
bag of frozen breaded chicken breast tenderloins (better than restaurant quality) $7.49

This is just the beginning. I could lose all track of time in that store. You already know I love grocery shopping, so this is like grocery shopping heaven for me!! And, they are always giving out yummy samples from the back. Today it was peanut satay and iced green tea!

I was raving about Trader Joe's to my Dad and he said that whenever his crew has overnites in a city with a Trader Joe's, his flight attendants pack extra bags just to bring back all the wonderful goods they find! It is that good, I promise. My friend Stacey got overwhelmed the first time she went and ended up not buying anything. It can be overwhelming and took me about 2 trips to really get in the groove, but now I'm hooked.

Tonight we are having Trader Joe's mini cheese raviolis with Trader Joe's marinara sauce (the jar of sauce was $1.99 and I think it is organic!)

This makes me happy!

6 comments:

Cindy said...

That sounds so great! Somehow, I wound up with a couple of Trader Joes bags, but never knew what it was. Now I know. And now I'm jealous....talk to the management and tell them to set up in Knoxville next! Happy shopping!

April said...

Glad you found a new store to enjoy! Sounds like you got some good deals, too. Your blog post would make a good advertisement for them! They should give you a discount or coupon or something for that...don't you think?! :)

Unknown said...

We have Trader Joe's in Vegas!!! I had heard about it from a co-worker who lived in CA before I moved here. He begs me to ship him supplies!! :) I too felt overwhelmed and haven't been back, perhaps I should venture out again as it is right down the street... I'll let you know how it goes!

Melanie said...

I went to one a few times when my sister lived in DC. The one by her place was two stories! I do wish we could get one in Knoxville. I would be happy with a Publix too- they have opened several of them in Chattanooga the past year. I am glad to know I am not the only one who could spend hours looking around a great grocery store! Enjoy!

Ginger said...

Melanie- Publix was one of the things I missed most about Nashville when we lived in Knoxville. I don't understand why Publix hasn't gone to Knoxville yet!?!

Lesley- You MUST go back! It took me a couple of trips to really get it. And don't go if you are in a hurry, b/c you need to take your time and dig around. Let me know what you think.

April- that is so funny that you mention that, b/c my friend Jenni and I say all the time that we deserve some sort of compensation for all our advertising!

Cindy- I will tell them they are needed in Knoxville!

Sara said...

So, did you actually take the picture of the store or is it a stock photo? I'm envisioning you standing outside taking this picture!

It is nice to be able to buy fresh and organic food at a reasonable price. Too often those types of foods are just way too much money!!