Wednesday, March 25, 2009

"Big School"

Yesterday was kind of a big day for me.

As some of you know, Will attends a state-certified Kindergarten at the school that is associated with our church. It is a pre-school, pre-K, and Kindergaten. Since we were in the process of moving, combined with his late July birthday, this was the perfect choice for us this year. Will has thrived in this small, loving environment.

But, next year he will go to our local neighborhood (public) school. (gasping, choking, wheezing...) Most of the other kids in his class will go on to the same private school. A few will go on to other public schools, but no one is going to ours. It makes me sad that he will not know anyone next year.

Yesterday was registration. I felt like I was going to vomit. Seriously. I filled out every form wrong. I put the year as '08 instead of '09. Apparently it was obvious because quite a few people asked me if this was "my first." Soon it became a joke and the secretary was telling me stories of other parents that have bawled like babies during registration. Everyone I met was wonderful. Everyone spoke to me and was very welcoming. By the time I left they had basically signed me up to work the welcome desk next year! I left with a great feeling!

I know for a fact that this school is consistently ranked #1 or #2 every year in our county. This is the whole reason we bent over backwards to buy the house we bought. We could've bought a cheaper house in another neighborhood, but we would not have been pleased with the school and I'm sure we would've ended up paying for private school anyway. I was reminding myself of all of these facts yesterday. I know it is going to be great, Will is going to make new friends easily, and we will love the school. But, he is still my baby, and a huge part of me does not want him to go. I am already dreading the day I have to go up there and register Ryan. I probably really will cry that day.

7 comments:

Sara said...

It is a big moment to send your babies off to school. We are still on the fence if Laura will go to Kindergarten next year b/c of her late July b'day. My experience is that it never hurts to wait a year, but we are still having her screened.

Is Will gonna repeat K or go onto 1st? I know he will thrive and make friends quickly. I am with you though..it is tough. It is so hard for me to imagine Laura being gone all day long for school. I'll really be a basket case when Grant heads off to school!!!

Ginger said...

Sara- he is going to repeat K. That is pretty much standard procedure around here for late spring/summer bdays. Especially in our county where the curriculum is pretty hard core.

Is Laura going to stay at the Academy? Could you do K twice? I would just talk to people around town and see what they suggest. Laura is like Will in that she won't have a problem either way.

April said...

Hang in there! I cannot imagine how I'll feel come August with Mackenzie heading off to Kindergarten. I am positive that Will will make friends quickly and adjust well to his new environment. I'm sure that's easy for me to say but doesn't make you feel any better yet, right?! He's a smart boy, and seems like he's always been mature for his age. I'm surprised by his repeating K, but I know as him mom, you certainly know best. That practice is foreign to me, though I've heard talk of it in East TN, too. Not so when I was growing up! Those who repeated a grade, even K, were labeled accordingly. Sigh. Why does it all have to be so complicated and vary from area to area???? I like the good ole' when they meet the age cut-off, send 'em on, theory. Made life simpler. I am actually concerned that M will be in a class with a bunch of 6 yr old's. She's ready for K. I just hope she's in a class with peers...not kids too old to be there!!! Again, I wish it were simple. I pray that we all make the right decision for our kiddos. In all areas of life! :)

Holly Aytes said...

I didn't even realize that Will wasn't in the "school system" already. Of course we sent Caleb on and he has done great. I was worried that he would have a hard time adjusting to going to school everyday, all day but he did well. The first 9 weeks were a little rocky as he had to adjust to all the rules (he is very social so that was hard for him). Academically he has thrived though and I am so glad. I always have worried that my kids would be perfectionist like me when it comes to school work, both Taylor and Caleb are but once they both have done well with it. I know Will will do wonderful in school. Lots of people here seem to repeat kindergarten or if they go to private they do kindergarten, pre-first and then first. It was really hard to register Caleb too! I was one of those who cried. And there is nothing wrong with that, I still sometimes get choked up when dropping him off b/c it looks so tiny walking up to the school :)

Ginger said...

April- I know what you mean. This is just one of the many decisions we make for our children and pray we aren't messing up! Will is very mature for his age, so repeating K has been an issue. But, it has become so standard around here that everyone tells us it is the right thing to do. We'll see, I guess.
When I started K I lived in Mississippi and was still 4. I was 17 the fall I started college. But, I still believe it is different for girls. And with boys you have the added pressure of sports. One year can make a big difference.

Holly- the school Will is at now reminds me very much of Cedar Springs. They had a state certified K too. I think people around here repeat K even more than in Knoxville. The private school we looked at had a Pre-1st which is what we would've done if we had gone there. But, we are excited about this school. It is just a few streets down from our house. I know it will be fine. I'm probably worrying about it all WAY too much!!

Cindy said...

Wow...everyone sure has a lot to say on this topic!

Let me just say, that kindergarten today is basically what first grade was when we were kids...and I've even seen it change since I was teaching it just six years ago! Kids with summer birthdays...just another decision for parents to make! We'll be in the same boat with Sam...he's got a late July birthday too. And I don't feel ready to make that decision yet...he's only three, but I've known people who've decided from birth that they would wait a year to send him.

And as you know, Will is not being "retained" in kindergarten, you're making a decision to give him another year...totally different things!

It will all be good...Will will make new friends and it sounds like a great, great place to be! It's a hard transition for mommies, especially, but it will all work itself out with time. I'm all for embracing the moment and all the emotions that go with it. :)

Ginger said...

Cindy- thanks so much for your comments. you are probably the expert here since you have actually taught in the K classroom! Thanks for the reminder that things are very different than when we were there 25+ yrs ago. For good or bad!