Thursday, April 10, 2008

Eat Pray Love


Am I the last person in America to read this book? The author, Elizabeth Gilbert, has been on Oprah at least twice now. Everywhere I went last summer people were reading this book. I have seen people reading this book on the beach, on airplanes, and in waiting rooms. I decided I had to see what the fuss was all about- (however I have still not read The DaVinci Code. But, that is a whole other post.)
I admit, the book was fascinating. It reads like a travel journal, only with much more highly personal information. It follows Gilbert's "voyage of self-discovery" as she divides her year between Italy, India, and Bali. She begins the book by giving background on her unhappy marriage, horrible divorce, and debilitating depression. All this misery prompted the year of travel in order to find God and herself.
Now, all of this is fine and good for someone who already has a very successful writing career and plenty of money to spend. But, what message is she giving to the average woman who may be in an unhappy marriage and think, "gee, sure would be nice to go travel the world and find myself?" It is all very unrealistic.
What about the message that you can find God in your own backyard? You don't have to abandon your marriage and move to an ashram in India. God can be found changing diapers, making dinner, and grocery shopping. God can be found sitting in a nursing home, taking care of your family, and blessing others in whatever capacity He has called you to serve.

1 comment:

April said...

No, you are not the last person to read this book...I have not read it! My thoughts about this post: "Well said, Ginger!"