Thursday, April 17, 2008

Update: The hearing got off to a slow start yesterday, so we don't really know that much more about what is going to happen to 416 misplaced children. The hearing could last 10 days or more. According to everyone I heard interviewed, the judge is doing a fantastic job in the midst of a chaotic situation. I now believe that the mothers might need a mental health evaluation to determine if they are brainwashed as a result of growing up in a cult-like setting. If they are not mentally or physically able to protect their children, then maybe separation is necessary. Still, the mother instinct inside me hurts to see the pain of separation.



Larry King had some women from the raided FLDS sect in Texas on his show last night. I had tears in my eyes as one mother described how her handicapped 5 yr old son was taken from her as they were surrounded by armed men and SWAT teams. (you can watch the interview on his website, but I don't know how to attach videos- I know, I know- I should learn.) These mild-mannered, soft-spoken women look like they stepped off of Little House on the Prairie. Clearly, these women are not violent. Again, I stress that if these women and children are in danger of abuse I say separate them from the men, but not each other!! These children obviously need their mothers in this time of shock and crisis. After the children were taken from them, the women were given a choice to go to a shelter or back to the ranch. Interestingly, they chose to go back to the ranch.

The crazy court hearing where one judge plans to hear the case of over 400 children is taking place today. Stay tuned and I'll try to let you know how it goes.

No comments: