Wednesday, April 16, 2008




Is anyone else as disturbed by this story as I am? I have followed the story of the raid on the polygamist sect in Texas from the beginning and it just keeps getting worse. All children over the age of 5 have been taken away from their mothers and are now in state custody awaiting hearings. The mothers have been sent back to the ranch. According to the mothers, they have been tricked and their children are now terrified and crying to go home. Also, the 16 year old girl who made the phone call that started this whole mess apparently does not exist, leading people to believe it was a hoax.

I am proud of Texas for stepping in and breaking up this scary compound/cult if women and children were being abused. But, why are these very young children being separated from their mothers? Why can't the children stay with their mothers awaiting this hearing? I didn't link the video to my blog but you can watch it on the Today show website.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I also wondered why the children were separated from their mothers. Such a crazy situation.

April said...

The whole thing is disturbing. By all means, intervene (be it hoax or real) to determine whether the women and children are safe or not. But, by all means, keep the kids with the mothers, at least! (I'm understanding that it is the women AND children we are worried about here...why not separate them from the MEN in this case?) I certainly don't have all the details, but it is sad and scary not matter.

Ginger, I tagged you. If you want to, list 7 Random Things About Yourself. If not, I'm not offend!