Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day!


5 fun and easy ways to celebrate Earth Day:

1. Visit your Farmers Market and buy some locally grown products.

2. Plant a tree in your yard. Arbor Day is the 25th (see link below.) We planted a tree when each of our boys was born. Your kids will think this is so fun to have their very own tree!

3. Recycle something today that you would normally just throw in the trash. A plastic bottle or your diet coke can. Take your kids with you to the recycling center- they will love helping!

4. Turn off the lights and TV in rooms when you leave.

5. Plant a garden. Even if it is one herb in a container. Just plant something with your kids that you can eat. One of my best childhood memories is helping my grandmother pick strawberries from her garden. I would eat them straight off the vine. I have never had a better strawberry to this day.

5 things I won't do for Earth Day:

1. Use cloth diapers

2. give up my plastic Target bags

3. walk to the grocery store.

4. stop washing towels in hot water to save energy (i just don't think they will be as clean)

5. compost dog poop

Fun sites to visit

http://www.thedailygreen.com/- a wealth of information


http://holidays.kaboose.com/earth-day/- fun things for kids


http://www.arborday.org/arborday/index.cfm- Arbor day and tree planting tips

does anyone know how to correct the clock on blogs? I promise I was not up writing this at 5am like the time says!!! My clock is hours off!!

2 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

I too refuse to "compost dog poop". That was too funny! We are actually planting a small garden this year w/ cucumbers, tomatoes, and some pole beans. The kids can't wait to have their own garden :) My grandmother still plants one and they love to help her "pick" stuff when we are at their house.

Cindy said...

My clock is always wrong, too. When you post, you can change the time by clicking on "Post Options" but I don't know how to change the internal clock itself.

I was all set to plant herbs with the boys this evening in honor of Earth Day, but alas, we had no potting soil! So I guess we'll extend our Earth Day activities an extra day...I'm sure the earth won't mind!