Sunday, July 6, 2008

Fireworks and Home

We took the boys to see fireworks last night. This means that they got to stay up much later than usual. The fireworks didn't start until about 9:15 and they lasted forever (or that is how it felt to me!) Ryan ended up falling asleep in my lap. I will never understand how he managed to fall asleep with all the loud booming noise, but he did. Will declared the fireworks "loud." And they were very loud because we were sitting directly under them. They set them off over a golf course near my parents house and we were sitting right smack in the middle. Great for visual, bad for noise. But, we all had a great time. It was nice and cool outside and we had lawn chairs and a blanket. I saw lots of people I grew up with and had not seen in a long time. It is nice, in a way, to go back where you grew up and know everyone when you go to the 4th of July fireworks display at the local country club. Now everyone has at least a couple of kids running around, and while it is not just like it used to be, it still feels like home.

I have been filled with this overwhelming sense of home lately. We will go in the morning and close on our new home. The home our boys will most likely remember as their "home." One they will live in for many, many years to come (hopefully!) As Southerners, we put great emphasis on place, home, and family land. My Dad and his sister are in the process of trying to sell the family farm. In my mind I know my grandparents are no longer there, and no one in the family has any need for this farm, but it is the tangible link to my grandparents that my heart is sad to see go. Yes, we place much emphasis on houses and real estate, but that doesn't make a home. Home is family. Home is friends. Home is where you feel comfortable.













4 comments:

Sara said...

I'm excited for you to close on your new home. Home is a wonderful word, isn't it? It has such a warm feeling to it.

Have you moved out of the Knox house yet?

Holly Aytes said...

I am glad you enjoyed going home. I know how you feel. My grandparents sold their farm a few years ago (just the farm land not the house) and all 4 of their grand-daughters had a hard time with it. None of the men who married the grand-daughters wanted to farm so it wasn't realistic to keep over 200 acres of fertile farm land but it hurt to let it go as it is all we know. (Luckily the nice man who bought it allows us to use it like we own it still so the great grandkids have been able to experience what we did to an extent, the farm animals are all gone now but the creek is still there for fishing). Guess once you are settled I will have to come see your new "home"!

Sara said...

Just think about all the wonderful memories you will make in your new home with your boys! Maybe one day they'll be writing about how wonderful going home is to them.

April said...

Hooray for the house closing! I do hope it went well. I'm excited for you guys to settle into your "home." Though, we will miss you here.