Friday, September 19, 2008

In Search of Gasoline

This morning my gas light came on as I was driving Will to school. I think, okay, I will fill up on my way home as I am doing errands. Umm, wrong. Every gas station in town is out of gas. I did not know this. 1 and 1/2 hours later (and mild panic aside) I now have a full tank of gas.

So, as I am watching my little red light gas light, I call everyone I know asking where to get gas. I stopped at the Purple Cow (you locals know...) and the nice people there said the Exxon in Green Hills has the only gas left around anywhere close!! Well, the Exxon in Green Hills is on the busiest road in all of Nashville. Cars were lined up both sides of the road. I actually see one of my best friends drive by as I am waiting in line! They have attendants in the road directing traffic. It was true madness. I wish so much I had my camera with me. It cost exactly $61 to fill up my Outback. (This is better than my friend Stacey's $106 Tahoe!) I would have paid anything by this time, I promise you! I have heard stories about people waiting in gas lines back in the 70s, but I guess I never thought it would happen to me. Oh well, it did.
Any good gas line stories out there?

9 comments:

Holly Aytes said...

That was what it was like exactly 1 week ago today. Everyone heard gas was going to rise to $5 or $5.50 and started filling up so they could get it at $3.69, I was shocked at the cars lined up at every gas station and the ones with no lines didn't have any gas left. We didn't have one station in farragut with gas by saturday morning :( It cost me $50 to put half a tank of gas in the van on monday :( Thankfully it is now down to $3.49 and only cost me $50 to fill up this morning. I feel your pain!!

Sara said...

My parents who live in a suburb of Houston and are among the many affected by Hurricane Ike said getting gas was taking 2-3 hours!! People were pushing their cars to the pump. Since most everyone is using a generator, waiting for the power to come, gas is in HIGH demand!

Jenny said...

Ging-
Cleveland had the crazy gas lines last Thursday -gas stations were running out -you could only get 10 gallons and had to pay with cash. People were lined up in the street and crazy!! The next day everything was back to normal -just the prices were a little higher.

April said...

Wow. I am so sorry you had such a scary experience with the gas light on...that is one of my pet peeves. I cannot stand to be so low on gas for the light to come! We never ran out here, even on the big days this past week. I guess that might have to do with it being the Pilot headquarters! Ha. Prices did get up to $5 per gallon, but never ran out, thankfully. And, they are back down below $3.50 per gallon now. Glad you got gas and were able to pick Will up from school! :)

Gini said...

So have you heard by now that this is ONLY happening in Nashville? Evidently the pipeline goes from Houston, to NOLA, to Atlanta, up to Knoxville/Chattanooga and then to us. Then of course there is the MidTn panic factor to consider that we ALL had to fill up our tanks- I read that we bought 1.5 times the gas we usually do since the hurricane hit. Viva Nashvegas!

Ashley Dixon-Harrell said...

It is so ridiculous! How did I not know we were having a gas shortage. I stayed home all weekend because I had 1/4 of a tank and wanted to make sure I had enough to get to work on Monday. I even went out at 6 AM Saturday morning ( yes, husband and kids came too, it was an adventure) and lines were still a mile long. I finally got gas on Sunday afternoon. $110 in the Tahoe, but I am not giving up my SUV.

Ginger said...

Don't feel bad Ash! I was clueless too!!

Ashley Dixon-Harrell said...

Well, looks like there is gas at lots of stations now! Ging- I visited our favorite store ( Big Lots) yesterday. I could not believe I found all the plates, napkins, cups, forks, table cloths and candles in pink and white for Ella's bday party. I got it all for $12!! I was so excited I had to tell someone. I have not been in in a while so I thought I would just check before I went to Party City. They had it all and so much cheaper. I sure do love that place.

Ginger said...

Wow- that is awesome about Big Lots! I feel your excitement! I haven't been in a while so I really need to go soon. Can't wait to see you all on Sat. for the party. I filled up my car with gas yesterday and it looked like most stations in cool springs have gas.