Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Book Club

I attended my first official book club meeting Monday night. Sorry to those of you who are tired of hearing about my book club, but, I am probably not going to shut up now.

I had to miss the first meeting where they discussed The Shack. Fine with me. But, I was so excited to be there this time because we discussed Twilight. And my excitement was fueled by a Starbucks Grande low-fat vanilla latte. Oh, and I forgot to say "decaf." Not a good thing for me at 7 p.m.

Oh. My. Goodness. Even those who were skeptical before are now true believers. Our group ranges in ages and occupations. We had a doctor, some teachers, and some full time mommies there the other night. Our discussion was amazing. It was so interesting to hear what different people got from this book. The different themes and questions everyone brought only added to my love for this series. The Romeo and Juliet theme is very obvious from the beginning, but through our discussion the search for soul and other spiritual aspects became clear as well.

I love my book club. I always wanted to be in a book club. It fulfills my dorky, English major side and I find myself reading more now than I ever have before in my life. The pick for next time is Three Cups of Tea. It is non-fiction and will be very different from Twilight. Has anyone out there read Three Cups of Tea?
I think some of us may need to form a second book club just for the Twilight Series because I am still not done with Breaking Dawn! Mary Alice?



3 comments:

Sara said...

I started to read "Three Cups of Tea" awhile ago, but I didn't have the time to get into it. I'd be interested to hear your take on it once you've read it. I'd like to try it again when I'm able to focus better!

Gini said...

this book club is really filling a void for my dorky self too!!!! peace, love, and twilight:)

Mary Alice said...

yes - peace, love & twilight!! or maybe peace, love & edward?

ginger, i love the idea of a 2nd book club strictly for 'Twilight'. In fact, i am overjoyed by that idea. sounds like everyone else is too!

we are on vacation at the moment. i rode down to alabama with phillip's mom today and he is on his way down as we speak. i BELIEVE that he finished 'Breaking Dawn' today, so i am DYING for him to get here so that we can TALK ABOUT IT!!

i'll get with tressa and we'll get the ball rolling on our little book club, Edward edition. ;)

oh, and i'll email you the link to my blog!