Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!

When I was a senior in high school, my class threw a Masquerade Ball around Halloween. We had just moved into a beautiful new building and this was the first big school party. I was on the committee throwing the ball. In fact, I think I was technically the committee chair. (Which is a scary fact in itself, as my party-planning skills are not great. I am way too unorganized.) But, it was great! We had a DJ, dancing, professional photographer, palm reader, a graveyard, the works! My best memory, however, is the hand-made Tinkerbell costume my Mother made me. My Mother likes to keep it a secret that she can sew, but she went all out for my Tinkerbell costume. Gold shimmery fabric with white glittery tulle. I had wings, a wand and gold slippers. I had the best costume at the ball! I really wish I had a picture to share with you.

Fast forward to Halloween 2008. We are going to a Halloween party tonight. The moms thought it would be fun to dress up. You know- so our kids would think we were cool, etc. So, I think "oh, fun! I will be Tinkerbell. She has always been my favorite Disney character." Well, I am no longer 17. I couldn't fit my big toe in the original costume my mom made me. And all the other Tinkerbell costumes out there for sale are VERY skimpy. Made for 17 year olds- not 33 year old Moms.

So, alas, I am having a very middle-age, suburban mom moment. I have realized I am not little and cute like Tinkerbell anymore. I still feel 17 in my mind. But, reality is very different, isnt it?

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I still think you're little and cute, Ginger! And you HAVE to dig up a picture of that costume from high school! I had a similar moment this morning, looking at a snippet of video from our trip to the beach this past summer....would that I hadn't gotten on camera!!! Sigh. Happy November!